Monday 4/27 ~ What if we were honest?

WARM-UP
MEMORIZATION ~ Next quiz on Tuesday 5/5.
If you can keep your head when all about you   
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;   
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;   
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

FOUND POETRY
*Share your poems and check devices in small groups.

HW: "Honest" by Rudy Francisco:
  • Identify all of the fifteen underlined poetic devices in "Honest." 
  • EQ: After you have read the poem, consider that Francisco drastically changes his format half way through the poem. What effect do you think he was trying to create with this choice? 


"Honest" by Rudy Francisco

Dear hands, I get it.
You like writing poems,
But you can't bring a metaphor to a gun fight.*

Dear eyes,
There are things that I would tell you  (1)
But we both know how terrible you are at keeping secrets. (2)

Dear heart
I trust you
Don’t **** this up

Dear hands, I said I know
That you like writing poetry,
But you can't bring a metaphor to a gun fight.*

Dear legs
Walking is the easy part
Now find a reason.

Dear Brain
You’re a good listener
But you give terrible relationship advice.

Dear hands, I know    (all the bold 3)
That you like writing poetry,
But you can't bring a metaphor to a gun fight.

I was born on July 27th, I hear that makes me a Leo
I don't really know what that means

I'm 5 foot 6... and a half. I weigh a hundred and forty-five pounds.
I don't know how to swim, and I'm a sucker for a girl with a nice smile
And clean sneakers. (4)

I'm still learning how to whisper
I'm often loud in places where I should be quiet
I'm often quiet in places where I should be loud (5)
I was born feet first and I've been backwards ever since (6)

I like ginger ale...
a lot.
I've been told that I give really bad hugs
People say that it feels like I'm trying to escape
Sometimes it's because I am,
 and secretly I get really nervous (7)
Every time someone gets close enough to hear me breathe.

I have this odd fascination with things like sand castles and ice sculptures
I assume it's because I usually find myself dedicating time to things
That will only last a few moments

That's also why I tend to fall in love with women
Who would never love me back
I know it sounds crazy, but it's actually much easier than it seems
And to be honest, I think it's safer that way
See relationships, they often remind me that I'm not afraid of heights or falling
But I'm scared of what's gonna happen
The moment that my body hits the ground
I'm clumsy. Yesterday, I tripped over my self-esteem (8)
I landed on my pride and it shattered like an iPhone with a broken face (9)
Now I can't even tell who's trying to give me a compliment

I've never been in the military, but I have this Purple Heart (10)
I got it from beating myself up over things I can't fix
I know it sounds weird but sometimes,
I wonder what my bed sheets say about me when I'm not around (11)
I wonder what the curtains would do if they found out
About all the things that I've done behind their backs
I've got a hamper that's overflowing with really, really loud mistakes
And a graveyard in my closet, I'm afraid that if I let you see my skeletons
You'll grind my bones into powder (12) and get high on my fault lines (13)

Hi, my name is Rudy
I enjoy frozen yogurt, people watching
And laughing for absolutely no reason at all
But I don't allow myself to cry as often as I need to
I have solar-powered confidence, I have a battery-operated smile (14)
My hobbies include editing my life story, hiding behind metaphors
And trying to convince my shadow that I'm someone worth following (15)
I don't know much, but I do know this
I know that heaven is full of music
I know God listens to my heart beat on his iPod
It reminds him that we still got work to do.

Would you like 5 pts. extra credit back on your quiz grade?...How is Francisco's poem, "Honest," like a sonnet? First person to tell me tomorrow gets the credit.